That’s the question our pastor asked during his sermon on Genesis 3.
It was the first time I’ve actually seen the downward spiral of this event.
- The deceiver wanted to ascend to the throne of the Most High.
- “How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! [how] art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:” – Isaiah 14:12-13 KJV
- He focuses on what is denied rather than what is allowed. “Who are you to deny me this?”
- He calls God’s Word into question – Did God really say…
- The way to the “more” is to bite on the forbidden.
- It doesn’t stay private – first Eve, then Adam.
- It is our nature to believe that there is a way that is better than God’s.
- “Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: Therefore as by the offence of one [judgment came] upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one [the free gift came] upon all men unto justification of life. For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.” – Romans 5:12, 18-19 KJV
- Then there was the cover-up.
- They knew they were naked and were ashamed. Tried to cover themselves, eyes were opened to evil, experienced guilt and fear.
- The Lord called to Adam because Adam was in charge.
- Adam didn’t take responsibility, but blamed his wife – actually he blamed God, “The woman You gave me.” (Genesis 3:12) Then Eve blamed the serpent.
- Then came the curse.
- For the serpent there would be humiliation, he would be looked down upon, lowness, hostility.
- Eve – v 16 – pain in childbirth, desire for her husband – which actually means she will desire to master her husband.
- Adam –v 17-19 his work is cursed and he would die.
- Then there was the shedding of blood to cover Adam and Eve when the Lord made coats of skin for them. This is actually the first mention of the Gospel.
- And lastly they were driven out of the garden.
So, now I will ask you what my pastor asked me, “How many pieces of forbidden fruit have you bitten on? What is your current forbidden fruit? We all have them. Let’s ask the Lord to reveal them to us so we can repent and turn back to Him.
Finding Joy in the Journey,
I would love to have the opportunity to keep in touch with you. Please sign up to be notified of new entries and to receive my Free E-zine. (Your address will not be shared)
Please sign up and receive your free copy of Dan’s Doodles I
Proclaiming God’s Faithfulness at:
Find me online:
© 2014 Phyllis Sather
All rights reserved